1NT followed by partner bidding 2D or 2H is a “Red” transfer to the next major up from the one bid.
Partner opens 1NT :-
You are balanced
- 0-10 HCP – PASS
- 11 – 2S*
- 12 – 2NT
- 13 to 20 – 3NT (Poss 4NT invitational not Blackwood)
- 20+ 4C* GERBER – Looking for Aces – 6/7NT is possible
You are unbalanced
- 0-4 – PASS – it should be the oppositions contract anyway !!
- 5-10 – Transfer and weak take out
- 11-12 transfer and jump to 3 – invitational
- 13+ if 4 Cards then 2C Stayman
- 5 Cards – transfer and then 3NT (opener chooses strain)
- 6 Transfer and then 4 H/S
If Long in Minors always consider 3NT
If Long in Minors and strong bid at the 3 level , opener response 3NT if stoppers , pass if weak.
If partner opens and there is a response then you must either “complete” the transfer or the forcing bid. You CANNOT leave the transfer in.
Stayman for 4 ,Transfers for 5 or MoreAnon